p-netcdf or netcdf4?

michael michael.bane at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 13:51:21 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 13:46 -0500, Rob Latham wrote:
> Hello to our pnetcdf community.
>
> We've made a lot of improvements and fixed some bugs since January, so
> it's almost time for another release.  To help us get there, we're
> putting out a pre-release for wider testing.
>
> Of particular note: we've made some changes to our non-blocking API.
> The API and semantic changes should make this interface more useful in
> more situations.  If you agree or disagree, please let us know.
>
> For more information, including download or SVN links, please see the
> release notes:
>
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/ReleaseNotes-1.2.0pre1
>
> ==rob (on behalf of the entire pnetcdf team at ANL and NWU)

All sounds good! And I keep aiming to upgrade my p-netcdf installation
sometime.

However, I must hands up to some confusion: at a recent w/shop I was
informed netcdf-4 has its own parallel implementation and that I should
use that and forget p-netcdf (!). Can you clarify this for me?

Many thanks, Michael
---
--
Dr. Michael K Bane