p-netcdf or netcdf4?

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 15 13:59:37 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:51:21PM +0100, michael wrote:
> All sounds good! And I keep aiming to upgrade my p-netcdf installation
> sometime.
>
> However, I must hands up to some confusion: at a recent w/shop I was
> informed netcdf-4 has its own parallel implementation and that I should
> use that and forget p-netcdf (!). Can you clarify this for me?

I get asked this not-infrequently, so I wrote up a short response:

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/wiki/PnetcdfAndNetcdf4

The relationship between the Netcdf4 developers and the
parallel-netcdf developers is not nearly as contentious as that
workshop would have you believe.  Both have their strengths.  I
sympathise that more options can be more confusing.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA