Serial build on MacOSX?

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 28 14:22:03 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:13:09PM -0700, John Michalakes wrote:
> Is it possible to build parallel-netcdf in serial mode on a
> workstation, in this case a dual-quad Intel Mac OS X 10.5.8 system
> with MPICH 1.0.8?  The configure script is failing here:
>
>    checking size of MPI_Offset... ./configure line 11386: -c: command
>    not found
>

> Whole config.log attached.  I want to do some serial development on
> this workstation first, then move over to the big cluster once I've
> got it working with one task.

There are a lot of MPI things in parallel-netcdf, so I'm not sure how
you'll build without including mpi.h and linking to the mpi library.
However, in this case what's happening is configure is temporarily
setting the C compiler to $MPICC to check the size of an MPI type.

single-process MPI programs can run just fine on your mac, as could
multi-process MPI programs (just oversubscribe cores if needed).

I'd suggest just building pnetcdf the regular way and then just
executing it on one process.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA