[Nek5000-users] Nek5000-users Digest, Vol 81, Issue 23

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 26 22:34:44 CST 2015

Leopold,

Hi...  Interesting LES model; I am also working on a flow where I am
adapting the Turb Channel work ...

Without analyzing it too deeply, your .usr code looks OK...  Not
withstanding any problems with the application of the model, have you
considered using a shorter time step?  The CFL seems kind of high; my
runs won't work anywhere near that number ;-); although my code is fully
transient and is adding body force for a rotating turbine blade based on
time step.  When I was working up my code, I did use time steps that
would allow runs of several hundred cycles before it blew up.  The fact
that the program is reducing your DT *could* be an indication that you
need a shorter DT...

Thanks,
Murph

Dear Neks,

I try to implement the Vreman LES model (see An eddy-viscosity
subgrid-scale model for turbulent shear flow: Algebraic theory and
applications, A. W. Vreman, Phys. Fl., 16, 10, 2004) to simulate a
turbulent jet. To do so, I modified the turbChannel example provided in
NEK. However, as soon as I impose in the uservp subroutine a
space-varying viscosity, after some time steps, the simulation blows up
even if this viscosity remains close from the standard 1/Re viscosity.
Has anyone ever experienced this kind of issue? Does anyone have an idea
on how to fix this problem? Below are the .usr file and the log of the
simulation.

Thanks,
Best regards,

Léopold