[Nek5000-users] LES-wall

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 24 13:17:39 CST 2014

Hello all,

I have a question regarding LES capability of Nek.
I know that the explicit filtering introduced in Nek can be effective
for velocity field to provide sort of eddy viscosity modeling.
Nevertheless, there should be some form of modeling for the near wall
regions, since it is almost infeasible to have DNS like resolution in
such regions for problems with relatively high Reynolds number and large
scale geometries. I have seen SFR assemblies example on the Nek web in
which LES used, however, I am not sure if that was an LES with near-wall
resolution or with near-wall modeling.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using Nek LES with
near wall models, or kind of hybrid RANS-LES approaches.

Thanks,
Mohsen