[Nek5000-users] Internal boundary condition

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 21 18:12:07 CDT 2014

Dear all,
I have a question regarding the internal boundary condition in the code.
My problem consists of a fan-shaped nozzle, which parts of its walls
are located within the flow domain (a cylindrical tank with inflow/
outflow boundary conditions). The question is how to set the boundary
conditions for such internal zero-thickness walls?

I thought the walls could be defined as internal faces by creating a
side-set (in the Cubit) and setting the velocity and the temperature
fields of these faces to 'W  ' and 'E  ', respectively, similar to
the solid-fluid interface  in the conjugate heat transfer example.
Nevertheless, there is a fluid at both sides of the interface in this
case.
Below is part of the boundary conditions in .rea file.
1 0     	! 1 fluid set, 0 other/solid sets
10	    	! fluid set is 10
1	 	! block 10 is material 1
10      	! no. bc sets (side-sets); bc set id,
100  1    W  , 	(external walls)
100  2    I  ,	(external walls)
120  1    W  ,	(internal walls corresponding to the nozzle)
120  2    E  ,	(internal walls corresponding to the nozzle)
200  1    v  ,	(inflow)
200  2    t  ,	(inflow)
300  1    O  ,	(outflow)
300  2    O  ,	(outflow)
400  1    SYM,
400  2    SYM,

When I run this case, warning messages appear during assigning the
sidesets to the element faces, saying that: "face shared by 2 Hexes
(say) 2331 5227". It seems that this warning is only because I
defined some faces as "internal", however, no "other solid/fluids"
has been defined in the input file.
Nevertheless, the issue with such definition is that, although, the
velocity field is zero at the internal walls, there seems to be a
pressure gradient across the wall, which is not physically consistent
with internal walls, and drives a flow through the walls.

It would be appreciated if anyone could help me on this problem.

Thanks,
Mohsen