[Nek5000-users] non-newtonian fluid

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 7 11:06:21 CST 2013

Hi Tubois

I can give you some background which may help..

The power law model specifies the visosity as power law in an effective
scalar shear rate gamma* so the viscous stress tau is given by
tau= eta(gamma*) x gamma  where gamma is the  tensor  dvi/dxj  + d vj /dxi

and gamma* is sqrt(1/2 gamma::gamma)  where :: means two consecutive dot
products of the gamma tensor
and the function eta for the power law model is eta= m * (gamma*)^n-1 where
m and n are material parameters
you can start with ket sat n=1/3 or 1/2....etc and the newtonian fluid
limit is n=1

for the case of axisymmetric pipe flow vz=f(r)  where z is the flow
direction and r is the radius ( v_theta=vr=0)

it can be shown that the scalar shear rate gamma*= - d vz /d r  and that
the only stress component is tau_rz and is given by

tau_rz=-m*(- d vz /dr ) ^ n-1 * d vz/dr = -m* (-d vz /dr )^n

note that gamma tensor has only one non zero component
gamma  = dvz /d r * [ 0 0 1 ; 0 0 0; 0 0 0]

the analytical solution is
vz= (n/n+1) *  ( (Po-PL)*R / (2*m*L) )^(1/n)  *R* [1- (r/R)]^-(n+1)/n

Ammar

http://aelghany.googlepages.com/home