[Nek5000-users] non-newtonian fluid

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 7 09:12:59 CST 2013

Hi,

I am willing to simulate some non-newtonian fluids by nek5000. I found in
the archive some discussions about several models, like *Herschel-Bulkley
Bukingham, power law* But none of the models is available online.

In the example, there is a var_vis case. I looked into the st2.usr and I do
not understand which models is about. Is it to calculate \nu (\nabla^ u)^2
for the diffusion term?  Can someone give a detailed discription for this
case?

I would like to implement a power-law fluid model. There exists an
analytical solution in the case of circular pipe so it can be compared
with. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-law_fluid

If some already implemented this kind of fluids, could you share some
sources? Or give a guideline, which subroutine to see.

Thank you very much!

Tubois