[Nek5000-users] Visit reader for double precision f files

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 13 17:41:03 CDT 2012

Dear all,
We were wondering whether it would be possible to include support for 64 bit
.f files in the Visit reader for Nek5000. So far, only 32 bit files are
supported, which we are hardly using any longer except for those files to
visualise with Visit; however we have quite a number of f files (snapshots)
from various simulations that we use for different purposes such as the
computation of spectra, POD modes etc. for which we naturally chose 64 bit
due to accuracy consideration. To be able to directly visualise such files
in Visit without converting them to 32 bit would be very helpful indeed.

Another aspect that came up recently was the question on how to indicate in
a f file whether or not the pressure is mapped to the Pn mesh if the Pn/Pn-2
method is used. Normally, restart files would not perform this mapping,
snapshot files however would do. We were wondering whether a simple solution
could be to choose different letters in the header (say "P" for pressure on
the Pn mesh and "Q" for pressure on the Pn-2 mesh)?

We could give a try for both things here if you think it would not be too
difficult...

Best regards,
Philipp