[Nek5000-users] Nonzero swirl velocity at the centerline

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 6 12:41:17 CDT 2012

Dear Neks,

I have started to use the 2D axisymmetric version of Nek5000 with
swirl (like the example vortex2), to get some base flows in
axisymmetric geometries.
To test the code I modified the vortex2 example to simple Grabowski
vortex flow.
This means setting the inlet profile:
U_x=1
U_r=0
U_theta=0.8944r(2-r^2)

The result looked good at the first sight, but a closer inspection
revealed that the swirl velocity (U_theta) is nonzero at the
centerline (up to U_theta=0.1). Also other axisymmetric flow cases
with swirl gave nonzero swirl velocities.

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to look into why this
happens? I have attached the .usr, .rea and .box files below.

Also, it would be useful if you could guide me into the precise place
in the code where the centerline condition for swirl is set. Does
OMASK have something to do with this? Or is it TMASK?

Outi