[Nek5000-users] Neek5000 variable viscosity case

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 09:52:32 CDT 2011

Dear Paul and Stefan,

thank you for the reply.
I am not sure if i have understood the situation.

We use the LowMach formulation but we did not set ifexplvis to be true.
we varied the viscosity in uservp by adding :
      if (IFLOMACH)      visc= param(2)*TEMP**0.67

Different cases were run with different exponent for the temperature and
we see
a clear difference between these cases. Thus somehow we have a case of
variable viscosity

With 'we assume that nu is identical to nu_ref (constant in space)'
do you mean that the equations were derived assuming constant nu ( or
mu?), but the
code implementation allows a space variation?  Or that you fix somewhere
nu to be constant in the code?

In conclusion, given that i need a variable viscosity,

a)In your opinion, which is the best that we can currently do ?
set ifexplvis to be true, and add visc= param(2)*TEMP**0.67 ? .

b) to set ifexplvis to be true, do i have to change it manually in
connect2 and drive2?
     in only one of the two files? or is there a better way?

thank you a lot
francesco