[Nek5000-users] Nek5000 variable viscosity case

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 10:06:50 CDT 2011

Dear Francesco,

As Stefan indicated, the current explicit treatment of
viscosity pertains only to the incompressible formulation
for PnPn.  (My mistake in thinking it would work for low Mach.)

I think the way to proceed is to write down the original
PDE, then set mu = mu_ref + mu'(X,t), and treat the varying
portion explicitly in time.

The rest of the formulation should go through OK, save that
you will have a new forcing term that involves mu'.

If you can come up with the PDE-based form then we should
be able to develop the correct forcing term inside Nek.
Of course, I realize this isn't easy in the full low-Mach
formulation, but by working together we can crack this.

Cheers,

Paul