[Nek5000-users] Help With Basic NEK Configuration

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 5 04:09:36 CDT 2011

Hi Harish

I don't think the manual you are refering to is up-to-date. To get a
rough idea about your memory footprint use 'size nek5000' on the
command line. The size tool will report the total size of a static
data items. Note, the actual size of the memory footprint will be
different:

- Static data items which are not "touched" duing execution will not
be allocated, hence the acutal memory usage is lower. This is not true
on Blue Gene as the CNK-kernel does not use an over-optimistic memory
model.
- Dynamically allocated variables within Nek (gs-code) increase the
actual memory usage (I don't think more than 50MB but this depends on
the particular setup)
- Memory allocated by MPI (size depends on the MPI implemenation). On
Blue Gene this can be significant fraction considering the fact that a
communicator is ~6MB on 72 Racks. Note, Nek's AMG solver uses 50-80
communicators depending on the number of AMG levels. This can be
tricky but there are ways to reduce the memory footprint of a
communicator. Contact me again if you need more details on that.

The SIZE file is used to size all static data within Nek. Hence, all
numbers are considered as 'upper limits'. For more details check the
wiki:
http://nek5000.mcs.anl.gov/index.php/SIZEu

You can run Nek on any number of processors. However, the implemented
domain decompostion (RSB) works best if the number of processors is a
power of two. Here you'll find some parallel scaling data:
http://nek5000.mcs.anl.gov/index.php/Scaling

Cheers,
Stefan

On 8/5/11, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov