[Nek5000-users] Help With Basic NEK Configuration

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 4 22:26:25 CDT 2011

Hi,

I am a new to NEK and I am trying to run a few examples for my OS scaling
experiments. I went through the manual which is at:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/new.pdf. In the chapter that speaks about
a basic problem setup, there is a line in the 'Memory Requirements'
section that says:

Total Memory Required for simulation = E(N +1)^3 points × 400(wds/pt) ×
8bytes/wd

I have been playing around with the SIZE file a little bit and adjusting,
lx1, lelt, lxd, lp and lelg parameters. However I am unable to find where
I can adjust 'E' from the equation. I understand that 'lelt' is maximum
elements per processor and 'lelg' is maximum elements per simulation? Is
'lelg' same as 'E'? is 'lelt = lelg / nprocs' ? I assumed that 'E = lelg'
and changed 'lelg' for 'timing' example to run it on a 4096 node
configuration (1 rack of BG/P:Intrepid in VN mode). I keep getting the
error:

Too many processors ( 4096 ) for to few elements ( 512 )

... and the value 512 does not seem to change although I have changed
'lelg' and run 'makenek timing'. Is the value of 'E' picked up from the
.re2 file? Would I have to generate it using 'genbox' after I change some
other configuration?

I understand that NEK has been scaled upto 40 racks of Intrepid at
Argonne. I am also trying to run experiments of upto 32 racks if possible.
But I want to get started with smaller runs. Is there a repository of
configurations or tarred files where I could get larger, successfully run
problem instances?

Thanks.

Regards,
Harish Naik