[Nek5000-users] Help With Basic NEK Configuration

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 5 09:08:01 CDT 2011

Harish,

We can help you with the larger runs.

The memory constraint is only one constraint, and it does
not limit how _small_ a problem can be.

There is a different constraint on problem size/processor
count, which is that you must have at least one element
per processor.   So if the problem has E=512 elements,
then P_max = 512.

It sounds like you've done a pretty good job of exploring
the parameter space for the memory footprint etc.

Memory requirements on a processor for a given compilation
is, to leading order, given by the product:

      S*lx1*ly1*lz1*lelt

where S is between 200 and 400 words, each word being 8 bytes.

There are other terms that can be important in some specific
cases, particularly for large element (and hence, processor)
counts.   But these are pretty well under control.   Specifically,
there are two (4 byte) integer arrays that scale as lelg.

Your total problem size (E==nelt in the .rea file) is constrained
by:

     E =< min(lelg,P*lelt)

where P is the number of processors at run time.   Similarly, P
is constrained by:

     P =< lp

There should be no memory impact for having a large value of lp.

Paul