[Nek5000-users] A good way to approximate second derivatives?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 25 06:39:51 CDT 2010

Hi Outi,

Nek5000 supports free-surface motion and does not require
2nd derivatives, using the same approach that is used for
the 2nd-order Laplace operator, namely, by transfering one
of the derivatives to the test functions.

The description of the implementation can be found in Lee W. Ho's
MIT thesis

http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/14293

Note that one of our example problems, fs_hydro, implements
a linear stability test with results described in

  www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/users.pdf

I'm not certain if this is what you're needing?

Paul