[Nek5000-users] A good way to approximate second derivatives?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 25 10:16:14 CDT 2010

Thanks to everybody for answers. I will proceed tomorrow and see which
one I should implement (I am going away for a conference trip, and
will return with possible follow-up questions in June).

Just a quick comment to the suggestion below, on solving the linear
stability problem also in Nek5000:
I would be interested to do that, and I have heard there exists a
linear version of Nek5000 which could be used. However, then the ALE-
formulation would also need to be linearised around the steady
position of the interface. Is that done already, or could that be done?

Also very interesting would be to calculate the steady state with
surface tension in Nek5000. I have two media (say, water and air), the
stresses of which need to be coupled on an interface involving surface
tension, which I assume is possible in the stress formulation. The
boundary conditions that I use would then not stabilise the time-
dependent flow field anymore, but I assume one could use some sort of
filtering, or an iterative procedure instead of ALE formulation.

Regards,
Outi