[Nek5000-users] A good way to approximate second derivatives?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 25 05:39:53 CDT 2010

Hi Outi,

check how we compute the derivatives in wgradm1().
In general strong 2nd derivates d/di [d/dj u] can be computed by a sequence of wgradm1() and dssum().

Example: d/dx[ d/dy u ], d/dy [ d/dy u], d/dz [ d/dy u]

call wgradm1(uddx,uddy,uddz,u,nelt)
call vec_dssum(uddx,uddy,uddz,nx1,ny1,nz1)
call wgradm1(ud2dx,ud2dy,ud2dz,uddy,nelt)
all vec_dssum(ud2dx,ud2dy,ud2dz,nx1,ny1,nz1)

You're right the derivatives are in general not in H1 because there are not in C0. That's why you need to call dssum() to make the derivative field continuous across elemental boundaries.

Stefan