[Nek5000-users] new build system

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 19 04:48:05 CDT 2010

Dear Nek users,

we have an ongoing discussion about a new build system for Nek.

What do you think about the current build system?
How easy is it to compile Nek?
What can be improved / What's missing?

One major complain was that the current build system does not follow the standard procedure of configure; make; make install.

We may want to follow the standard more closely. One idea would be to have a nekconfigure.in file to specify the compiler, flags, etc. and you need to run nekconfigure to create a makefile for your environment.  After that you can use the classical GNU make utility to compile the code.

Your feedback is welcome!

Cheers,
Stefan