[Nek5000-users] genbox compiling problems

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 29 17:56:26 CST 2009

Hi,

I am new to Nek5000. I can compile the code with OpenMPI compilers 'mpi77'
& 'mpicc' and run the code in parallel up to 8 processors. Though, I do
get some warnings during compilation.

Then, I wanted to setup a 2D case for flow over a backward facing step and
run it. This is were I ran into hurdles.

I could not compile genbox using maketools as it gave me compiling errors.
The compilers I have specified in the maketools executable are:

***************
# specify your compilers here
F77="gfortran"
CC="gcc"
***************

Following are the compiling errors:

****************
[harish at cmtl tools]$ ./maketools genbox
----------------------
Make genbox...
----------------------
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/harish/nek5_svn/trunk/tools/genbox'
gfortran -mcmodel=medium -c   genbox.f
In file genbox.f:648

                     buf(8) = 'C'
                              1
Error: Can't convert CHARACTER(1) to REAL(4) at (1)
In file genbox.f:1551

     r  = x(2)
           1
Warning: Array reference at (1) is out of bounds
make[1]: *** [genbox.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/harish/nek5_svn/trunk/tools/genbox'
make: *** [all] Error 1

Then, I compiled prenek and used 'prex' for meshing. But, I had trouble
understanding how to use it. Can you direct me to some resources which
explain the use of 'prex' for making meshes.

For the backward facing step, genbox would be most useful to make the mesh
as it has only 3 boxes and not a complicated geometry. But knowing how to
use 'prex' would be useful as well.

Thanks,

Harish Kanchi.