[mpich-discuss] MPI jobs don't have access to CUDA devices

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 23 10:55:17 CST 2011

>> started the process in debug mode ...
 I was about to suggest that :)

Regards,
Jayesh
----- Original Message -----
From: "Florin Ciubotaru" <florinciu at gmail.com>
To: "Jayesh Krishna" <jayesh at mcs.anl.gov>
Cc: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:25:28 AM
Subject: Re: [mpich-discuss] MPI jobs don't have access to CUDA devices

Hi Jayesh,

Thanks for the quick response.
Indeed, running mpiexec with -localroot does allow gpu access, but as I understand, it only limits the execution to one node.
I tried to change the "slave" smpd service settings using the Windows service manager (services.msc), but apparently all connections to those nodes fail after allowing the service to be interactive.

After a bit of digging I found a partial solution that probably has some performance impact. For this I disabled smpd as a windows service on the cuda enabled machines and started the process in debug mode using "smpd -d 0".
The linux versions seem to have more solid approaches but for my case debug mode should do for now.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru