[mpich-discuss] MPI jobs don't have access to CUDA devices

Florin Ciubotaru florinciu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:25:28 CST 2011

Hi Jayesh,

Thanks for the quick response.
Indeed, running mpiexec with -localroot does allow gpu access, but as I
understand, it only limits the execution to one node.
I tried to change the "slave" smpd service settings using the Windows
service manager (services.msc), but apparently all connections to those
nodes fail after allowing the service to be interactive.

After a bit of digging I found a partial solution that probably has some
performance impact. For this I disabled smpd as a windows service on the
cuda enabled machines and started the process in debug mode using "smpd -d
0".
The linux versions seem to have more solid approaches but for my case debug
mode should do for now.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru