[mpich-discuss] ssh\network problem

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Sun Feb 20 21:37:59 CST 2011

Hi Hatem

As Nicolas said, this is not MPICH, but a  networking problem.

It would help if you tell:

1)  Are in Linux or Windows?

2) How are these machines connected?
Via Internet?
Directly via an Ethernet cable?
Using a switch?
Something else?

(Your ping results suggests that they are not connected, or cannot
resolve each other's name, but may be something else.)

3) Are you using internet (public IP addresses)
or a private subnet (private IPs)?
Alternatively what are the IP
addresses and names of these machines?

4) How do these machines resolve each other's names?  (Assuming Linux, do you
have /etc/hosts files on each machine?  What is the content of each file?
Or do you use DNS to resolve the names? )

5) Do these machines have a firewall installed?
Linux distributions typically install a firewall.
If it is Linux, what is the output of
'service iptables status'
on each machine?
(If you are using Windows, I can't help, I don't know much about it.)

Apart from that, have you tried to connect/ssh using IP address,
instead of machine name?
What happens?

Moreover, did you setup your ssh for passwordless connection?

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa