[mpich-discuss] installation MPICH2

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 10 08:05:20 CST 2011

Hi,
 The MPICH2 installer basically copies the required libs/dlls/headers to appropriate locations and installs the process manager for you. You can perform these steps manually, however it is not preferred/supported since unless you know exactly what you are doing you can create a nightmare for yourself.
 There are multiple dlls (for different channels, fotran, mpe etc) installed by MPICH2 in your system. You will have to copy all the dlls to the other machine, install SMPD manually (making sure that you are installing the same version as of the dlls). Moreover unless you copy libs/headers/utils (of the same version as the dlls, SMPD etc) you won't be able to compile/run your program from a system.
 Is there any reason you don't want to use the installer ?

Regards,
Jayesh