[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.3rc2.tar.tar under cygwin+WINDOWS Server 2003 R2 installation problem

jayesh at mcs.anl.gov jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 12 10:52:51 CDT 2010

Hi,

>> ...mpich2-1.2.1p1-win-x86-64.msi... mpiexec answered something like smpd was not the right version.

 Did you install MPICH2 from an administrator command prompt ? Windows flavors Vista/7/Srv2008 need extra information in the installers for installing the package as an administrator (The flavor of Visual Studio that we use to compile MPICH2 does not support adding these additional info - We have an open ticket on this issue, https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/1070, and we plan to fix it soon).
 We do not recommend users to use "smpd -install" to install SMPD on windows (Unless you know what you are doing). The windows installer should automatically install the process manager for you.
 Please follow the steps below and let us know if it works for you,

# Uninstall any versions of MPICH2 installer in your machine (Control panel --> Add/Remove programs --> Uninstall)
# Right-click on the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator" (Note that opening a command prompt as an administrator does not give you an administrator command prompt). This opens an administrator command prompt
# Use the msiexec utility to install MPICH2 (Type "msiexec /i mpich2-1.2.1p1-win-x86-64.msi" at the administrator command prompt) from the administrator command prompt
# The command above pops up the installer GUI to install MPICH2.
# After installing MPICH2, type "mpiexec -n 2 hostname" at the command prompt to check if MPICH2 is working (The MPICH2 job launcher might prompt you for user credentials to launch the executables. Provide them when prompted.).
# Compile/Run a simple hello world program (https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/mpi/mpich2/trunk/examples/f77/hellow.f)

 Installing MPICH2 on windows using an installer would be the easiest way to getting started with MPICH2 on windows (and you get better performance than MPICH2 on Cygwin).
 Let us know the results.

Regards,
Jayesh