[POOL] Results

John Valdes j-valdes at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 03:00:26 CDT 2019

We played Holdin' Our Own.

Cari opened the night playing Brandon in a 1:3.  Like the Mikes before
him, Brandon didn't get the memo either about not beating new players
and unfortunately shutout Cari, 0:3.  Also, during Cari's match, Cari
needed a coach but unfortunately no one else from Moe had arrived at Q
yet, so she asked for a coach from another team, which one is allowed
to do.  Team Holdin' objected though (which they're allowed to do
too), so Cari had to forgo the coach.  Also not a good way to treat a
new player. :( (See below for a reminder of the rules for coaching.)

Paul H played next against Scott in a 2:3.  Paul got to the hill first
after winning the 2nd game, but Scott took the next 2 games to take
the match, 1:3.

Martino then played Jim in the 3rd match, a 3:1.  Martino was shooting
well and quickly got to the 8 in the first game, which he sank, but
not before the cueball nicked one of Jim's on the way to the 8,
resulting in an 8-ball foul and loss, giving the match to Jim, 0:1.

Katie went up next against Andrew in a 1:5.  Katie started the match
out well by winning the lag by a hair, leaving her ball just mm from
the rail.  Andrew's a good player though, and he got to the 8 while
Katie still had 4 of her balls on the table.  But like pawns defending
their king, Katie's balls protected the 8, forcing Andrew to give up
ball-in-hand not once but twice, giving Katie the chance to sink the
remainder of her balls and 8 for the game and match win over Andrew,
1:0!

I played the last match against Tome, a 2:4.  I got out to a good
start, winning the first game to quickly get on the hill.  Tome was
shooting well though, and after I struggled to sink my last ball in the
4th game, he got to the hill too.  I took the lead in the final game
but again struggled to sink my last ball, until Tome scratched when
shooting on his last ball, giving me ball in hand which I used to sink
my ball and then the 8 for the win, 2:3.

So another 2 win night; better than a no-win night!

Rules on Coaching, from the APL Rulebook, Sec 3.1, pg 6:

  Any current team member can give coaching advice to the designated
  coach before a “Coach” is called; the designated coach must be the
  person that relays the advice to the player.  If the designated
  coach becomes unavailable during the match, another team member may
  assume the role provided notice is given to the opposing team
  beforehand.  In the event that no team members are available to act
  as the designated coach, another league member may be enlisted to
  act as a substitute designated coach provided the opposing player
  approves the selection; if the opposing team does not approve a
  substitute designated coach, then the shooting player must continue
  play without the benefit of advice.

https://blogs.anl.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/2014/09/APL-Rules-4.pdf