[POOL] Results of Final Argonne Summer Pool series and start up of new season

Bass, Dean Allen bass at anl.gov
Fri Aug 31 10:50:08 CDT 2018

Our final night of the Argonne summer pool series is complete and we had 14 players in our 8 Ball tournament and a few spectators.  Thanks to the Q for the gift cards as prizes.  The tournament top finishers were:

1.	Chuck Blahut
2.	Don Peterson
3.	Dick Weeks
4.	Dean Bass

Our league starts Sept 18 and we will have a captains meeting at 7pm that night.  I expect league fees to remain the same.  Right now, the only topic I have to discuss regarding the rules is a suggestion to a change in the play-offs from Ron Shepard.  I would also like to review the use of table 5 and discuss new players and the filling team rosters.  Anything else that needs to be covered?  PLEASE let me know if you think you could use additional players or would be willing to take additional player.  I have already had some inquiries into the league and will likely get additional ones.  I will be sending out the team matches around Sept 12.

Ron’s Suggestion:

At the end of the three week tournament, there are four possible final scores: 3 wins, 2 wins and 1 loss, 1 win and two losses, and three losses. My suggestion of to make the team payouts depend only on those final scores. In the past, the payouts depended not just on the final scores, but also on the path through the tournament bracket. Practically, this means that each winning night gives the team a point, and it doesn’t matter which week that win occurs, they all count the same as far as the prize fund. This is in contrast to the past scheme where the first week is more important than the last week. I suggest that the place numbers (1st, 2nd, etc.) from the playoff tournament remain the same, but those place numbers will be mostly symbolic, as the actual payouts would now depend only on the final scores.

The total tournament prize money would be divided into 20 parts, and each finishing place would receive the following payout:

3W   4/20 =20%
2W1L 3/20 =15% (three teams with this score: WWL, WLW, and LWW)
1W2L 2/20 =10% (three teams with this score: WLL, LWL, and LLW)
3L   1/20 =5%

Another way of looking at this is that each team is effectively given 5% of the prize money at the beginning of the tournament, and each winning night after that gives them an additional 5%.

Just for comparison, here are the payouts for the past scheme:

WWW 8/36 =22.2%
WWL 7/36 =19.4%
WLW 6/36 =16.7%
LWW 5/36 =13.9%
WLL 4/36 =11.1%
LWL 3/36 =8.3%
LLW 2/36 =5.5%
LLL 1/36 =2.8%

In the final week of play with the old scheme, the teams are playing for 1/36=2.8% of the prize fund. With the new scheme, they will be playing for 1/20=5% of the prize fund, the same as the previous weeks.