[POOL] Last week's results

John Valdes j-valdes at comcast.net
Tue Feb 23 11:28:50 CST 2016

We played well last week against Bass Ackward, winning 4 of 5 matches, giving us sole possession of 1st in the standings as we reached the halfway point of the winter session. I missed/don't remember all the details of the matches, so I'll mostly report just the scores:

Paul L opened the night against Don in a 2:3 but was shutout, 0:3.

Martino played next against Fred in another 2:3. They traded wins throughout the match, with Martino winning the first game, which means he got his 2 wins before Fred got his 3rd. Martino won 2:2.

John C played third against Dave in a tough 2:4 match. Dave was shooting well as usual, but John was hanging in the games, never too far behind. Dave won the first 2 games and was on his way to winning the 3rd when he scratched on the 8 to give the game to John. Dave won the next game to take the match to hill-hill. John kept making shots in the final game to keep the pressure on Dave, and soon found himself shooting on the 8, which he sank in his called pocket for a game and match win, his first in the League. Way to go John!

While John was playing, Paul H started the fourth match against Dean, a 1:8. Paul was shooting well and stringing runs together, which he used to his advantage in the third game to get to the 8 well ahead of Dean and sink it for a match win, 1:2. A great win against the top player in the league.

I played the fifth match against Art, a 3:3. My aim was dead-on, and I took Art down in quick order, shutting him out 3:0.

Our opponents for this week were anticipating that they'd only have 4 players for this week, so we while we all had players on hand, we agreed to play an "advanced" makeup match. We put Paul L up against Gary in a 2:7. Unfortunately for Paul, it had been a long night, and he was pooled out; Gary took him down, 0:7.

Since we played the one match in advance, we only need to play 4 tonight. Let's keep the momentum going!