[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 3 01:16:36 CDT 2013

Tonight's results; we played More with Les.

I played first against Fred in a 2:6.  Both Fred and I were a little
cold starting off, but despite my getting the early lead in the first
few games, Fred won 3 before I finally warmed up enough to take one.
In the 5th game, Fred got to the 8 first, which he failed to pocket
but sent the cue ball straight into another, giving me the game and
match, 2:3.

Neither of us had a 2nd yet, so I played a makeup against Mark of
Kevin's team in a 2:4.  Mark took the first game, but in the 2nd, he
literally missed hitting his object ball 4 turns in a row, giving me
ball in hand each time.  I didn't let that got to waste, taking the
2nd game without problem.  Both of us got to the 8 in the 3rd game,
but after Mark left it hanging in a corner pocket, I tapped it in
for the match win, 2:1.

Paul R played Les in the 2nd scheduled match of the night, a 1:7.
Paul was able to put the pressure on early in the match, almost
winning a game, but Les started to hunker down and didn't give Paul
much of a chance afterwards.  Paul went down, 0:7.

While Paul was playing, Roger played a makeup match against Red from
Bob's team in a 2:4.  Roger played tough, capitalizing on ball in hand
to run out his balls and the 8 in the first game for a win.  Red got
to the 8 first in the 2nd game, but stressing under the pressure from
Roger, he errantly sent the cue to a pocket, giving Roger another win
and the match, 2:0.

After Paul's match finished, Adam played Steve in a 3:7.  Steve was
making shots like a mad man, and Adam's aim was AWOL.  Adam's sole win
came in the 7th game when Steve banked the 8 into the wrong pocket.
Unfortunately, Adam wasn't able to get his shots in line in the next
game and went down, 1:7.

Az played next against Stephan in a 3:2.  Az was distracted and
struggled to make his shots, while Stephan took advantage of the
opportunities Az left him.  Az found himself down quickly in the first
two games and wasn't able to secure a win, going down 0:2.

Roger played the final match against Jamie, a 2:2.  The table was not
liking Roger, and the pockets refused to accept any balls he sent
their way.  On the other hand, the table was definitely favoring
Jamie, and she took the match, 0:2.

Neither Bob's nor Kevin's team had another eligible player available
for a makeup, so we weren't able to play any more makeup matches, so
we still have 1 match left against each team.  Fortunately, we were
able to play all of tonight's scheduled matches.

So we won only 1 of 5 of tonight's matches, and 2 of 2 makeup matches.
Next week we play X-Cue-Ses, Ron's team.