[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 10 01:55:24 CDT 2013

Tonight's results against X-Cue-Ses.

Craig played first against George in a 1:7.  Craig was playing George
well, getting the upper hand in many games but unable to sink the 8.
That is until the 6th game, when Craig again found himself shooting on
the 8 but this time sank it for a match win, 1:5.  BTW Craig, I have
the $5 the envelope owed you.

I played second against Bobby in a 2:6.  I was shooting well, and
while Bobby was making good shots, he was also missing shots.  He
ended up giving me ball in hand in 2 games, and I put those to good
use, running out and sinking the 8 in both for a match win, 2:2.

Paul H went next against Sarah in a 3:2.  The first game was a
marathon, with neither Paul or Sarah able to sink much of anything.
Ultimately, Sarah sank the 8 first to win the first game.  The first
game helped Paul warm up a bit, and he was able to win the next 2
games without too much difficultly.  In the hill game, Paul had the
early lead, but had trouble sinking the last of his balls to get to
the 8.  Meanwhile, Sarah steadily sank her balls, eventually putting
together a short run, which was enough for her to get to the 8 and
sink it before Paul, handing Paul his second loss of the season, 2:2.

Roger played fourth against Ron in a 1:10.  Ron was playing as Ron
does, but nonetheless, he gave Roger many turns at the table which
Roger put to good use.  In one game, Roger made a good run, sinking
the last of his balls to get to the 8; unfortunately, in the process
he also sank Ron's last ball and the cueball, giving Ron ball in hand
on the 8.  In another game, Roger made a sweet, cross table bank to
sink his last ball (with the help of some even sweeter coaching ;) ),
but was left with a tough shot on the 8 which he missed.  Ron
uncharacteristically "missed" on his next shot, leaving Roger a tricky
but makable bank on the 8.  Roger tried it, but unfortunately ended up
scratching for a loss.  Ron then admitted that his "miss" was intentional
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA ).  Ultimately, Ron proved
to be too tough, and Roger went down despite putting up a good fight,
0:10.

While Roger was playing Ron, Az started the fifth match against Jason,
a 4:2.  Az had his aim inline, while Jason struggled to make shots.  Az
tooking him down in short order, shutting Jason out 4:0.

In other matches, Paul H played Scott in the makeup match against
Kevin's team, a 2:8, soon after his match with Sarah.  Paul was good
and warm by this time and took the 1st game and the 4th to win the
match, 2:2.  If I'm not mistaken, that means we swept Kevin's team
over the span of 3 weeks!  Good job Moe!

Bob's team didn't have an eligible player for our other makeup, so
that match is still pending.

For tonight then, we won 3, lost 2, plus won 1 makeup match.  A good
night.

Next week we play Nice Rack, Melanie's team.