[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 20 19:44:40 CST 2013

We played Bass Ackward last night, Dean Bass's team.

I went first against Glenn in a 2:3.  I stuggled to put a run
together, managing to only sink 1 ball per turn (sometimes less...),
and quickly lost the first 2 games.  The fact that Glenn sank the 8 on
the break in the 2nd game might have accounted for some of the
quickness.  I was able to rally to make a game of it in the 3rd, but
Glenn sank the 8 first, taking me down 0:3.

Paul H went next against Dave in a 2:2.  Paul kept leaving Dave
snookered behind his balls, but somehow Dave managed to find an
escape.  Play was pretty even in all the games, but unforunately, Paul
wasn't able to secure a win.  He went down, 0:2.

Paul R played the third match against Dean, a 1:10.  Dean not
surprisingly broke and ran the 1st game, but when he failed to sink
anything on the break in the 2nd, Paul got a rare chance to shoot.  It
turned that the chance wasn't so rare, as Dean failed to sink a ball a
couple of times during the game.  After the last time, Paul took
advantage of the opportunity by pocketing his 3 remaining balls, one
on a tough, sharp cut, and left himself perfectly placed for the 8,
which sank w/o scratching for a win over Dean, taking the match 1:1!

Az played 4th against Candido in a 4:2.  Az was off to a commanding
3:0 lead before Candido managed to win a game, thanks in part to
ball-in-hand given up by Az.  Az was on his way to win the hill game,
but more untimely ball-in-hand gave Candido the edge, and he somehow
managed to steal the game and the match from Az, 3:2.

We didn't have a 5th, so we have 1 match to make up next week.  So 1
win, 3 losses for the night's matches.

For last week's makeup match, I played Amanda in a 2:3.  Both of us
struggled to make shots in the first game--thanks in part to the lean
of the table--with Amanda eventually sinking the 8 first for the win.
Amanda continued to struggle in the 2nd game while my aim finally
started to get in focus (or at least started to compensate for the
table) enough for me to win the 2nd game.  Fortunately, I was able to
keep my focus in the 3rd game and racked up another win to take the
match, 2:1.  Woo!  BTW, not that I was keeping track or anything, ;)
but my win in the 2nd game broke my 20 game losing streak...

Next week we play Retarded Monkeys.