[POOL] Results

John Valdes valdes at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 5 00:58:57 CST 2012

Hot off the press!  We played X-Cue-Ses, Ron's team (well technically,
Jason's team).

I played first against George in a 2:6.  Despite a missed, easy shot
on the 8, my aim was on, and I dispensed with George easily, 2:1.

Paul R was next to play after a bit of a wait, against Bobby in a
1:7.  Paul was holding his own, but Bobby had the upper hand, winning
the first 3 games until Paul put together a nice run, sinking 4 of his
balls and then the 8 for game and match, 1:3; woo!

While Paul was playing, Adam got started on the 3rd match, against Pat
in a 2:10.  Pat was shooting crazy--crazy good--as usual, but Adam
wasn't making it easy on him.  Pat gave Adam a couple of
opportunities, but despite some good shooting, Adam wasn't able to
capitalize.  He went down, 0:10.

Roger played the 4th match after Paul's match finished and while Adam
was still playing, a 2:2 against Jason.  After trading wins, Roger
found himself shooting a sharp cut on the 8 in the hill game, which he
sank while deftly avoiding a scratch, winning his match 2:1.

Craig played the 5th match against Ron, a 1:10.  Craig racked well,
getting Ron to scratch once, sink the 8 once, but not sink the 8 and
scratch at the same time. :) When he did get to shoot, Craig was
making his shots, but Ron never left him with much to shoot at.
Ultimately, Ron prevailed, taking down Craig, 0:10.

So we won 3 of 5, a good result.

In the makeup match against Intensity Frontier, Az took on Jenny, in a
3:3 (suppose to be a 4:4, but given the late hour, both agreed to a
3:3).  Az was on his way to take the first game, but while using the
bridge for his shot on the 8, he somehow managed instead to send the
cue ball no where near the 8 and straight into a corner pocket.
Fortunately, his bridging improved after that, and he took the next 3
games with some good shooting, winning the match 3:1.

We're finally all caught up on our makeup matches.  Next week is the
final week of the fall session, when we play Bob & Son's team, the
former Mr mR, now called "Nice shot, 6 bucks" or something odd like
that.  We started the night tied for 6th with them, so hopefully we
overtook them tonight with our 4 wins, and next week we'll leave them
in the dust with some more wins!