Captain's meeting recap

Jennifer Schopf jms at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 18 14:56:17 CDT 2004

you could talk to them also about expending the roster - this isn't instead
of the FB plan below, but i don't see how it impacts them to let teams have
more than 10 (?) players on a roster, they would actually get more money,
no? and it would give teams like ours with members who travel a lot a
better chance of not forfeiting.

  - j

At 01:27 PM 8/18/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>A few suggestions were floated on how to avoid the mass of forfeitures we
>faced last season.  I'll list the ones on a handout (verbatim) that Chuck
>presented, then offer up a modified one I suggested at the meeting:
>
>==
>Designated Shooter rule
>
>Proposal to create a "guest player" or Designated Shooter Group each match
>night to provide a source of players that can act as substitutes for teams
>that need a player or players in order to avoid a forfeit.
>
>This proposal is in the conceptual stage and suggestions and comments are
>welcome.  It is intended to help reduce the number of occasional single
>and multiple forfeits.  Some teams are especially hard hit by multiple
>forfeits when work / travel requirements take as many as 3 or 4 players
>away at one time.  Such an event also impacts their opposing team for that
>night.
>
>Procedure:
>- Early in the evening (preferably before 8PM) team captains provide the
>named of players available for the draft.
>- These players names are placed in a "hat".
>- Teams that need a player or players may draw named from the hat.
>- Both opposing team captains must agree to the process.
>- the Designated shooter and his Team Captain must agree.
>- Opposing team players are not eligible.  Another name must be drawn if
>one of their names is drawn.
>- A player whose name has been drawn may decline for any reason.  Then a
>new name may be drawn.
>- The team using a drafted player must pay the match fee or fees but not
>the session feee.
>- A drafted player is limited to one match that night unless he has a
>make-up match to play.
>
>Forfeit Buster
>-----
>- Let players play more than one match if their team is short
>- limit of two players per team per night
>- if three players are missing there will be at least one forfeit
>- other limitations?
>- still allow make-ups the first four weeks

>Okay, the Designated Shooter rule was not well received.  There were a
>number of reasons, one of them being that even if you're not in direct
>competition with the team you'd shoot for that night, there are
>session-wide implications of how you play, for instance if two teams are
>neck and neck for first place.  While I don't think anyone would throw a
>match, it's best to avoid the situation of someone being accused of it.
>
>So the Forfeit Buster was better accepted, with modifications.  As I
>picked it up (and with some input from me), I propose the following, which
>we can bring to the other team captains:
>
>- If Team A knows they will be short a player, they must, by 7PM, inform
>the Team B, the opposing team.
>- At 7PM, Team B will choose from Team A one player present who is allowed
>to play two matches that night.
> [...]

Dr. Jennifer M. Schopf
Distributed Systems Lab phone: +1(630)252-3313
Argonne National Laboratory     fax: +1(630)252-1997
9700 S. Cass Ave, Bldg 221      email: jms at mcs.anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439               http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~jms