Captain's meeting recap

Craig Stacey stace at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 18 13:27:22 CDT 2004

A few suggestions were floated on how to avoid the mass of forfeitures
we faced last season.  I'll list the ones on a handout (verbatim) that
Chuck presented, then offer up a modified one I suggested at the
meeting:

==
Designated Shooter rule

Proposal to create a "guest player" or Designated Shooter Group each
match night to provide a source of players that can act as substitutes
for teams that need a player or players in order to avoid a forfeit.

This proposal is in the conceptual stage and suggestions and comments
are welcome.  It is intended to help reduce the number of occasional
single and multiple forfeits.  Some teams are especially hard hit by
multiple forfeits when work / travel requirements take as many as 3 or
4 players away at one time.  Such an event also impacts their opposing
team for that night.

Procedure:
- Early in the evening (preferably before 8PM) team captains provide
the named of players available for the draft.
- These players names are placed in a "hat".
- Teams that need a player or players may draw named from the hat.
- Both opposing team captains must agree to the process.
- the Designated shooter and his Team Captain must agree.
- Opposing team players are not eligible.  Another name must be drawn
if one of their names is drawn.
- A player whose name has been drawn may decline for any reason.  Then
a new name may be drawn.
- The team using a drafted player must pay the match fee or fees but
not the session feee.
- A drafted player is limited to one match that night unless he has a
make-up match to play.

Forfeit Buster
-----
- Let players play more than one match if their team is short
- limit of two players per team per night
- if three players are missing there will be at least one forfeit
- other limitations?
- still allow make-ups the first four weeks

Okay, the Designated Shooter rule was not well received.  There were a
number of reasons, one of them being that even if you're not in direct
competition with the team you'd shoot for that night, there are
session-wide implications of how you play, for instance if two teams
are neck and neck for first place.  While I don't think anyone would
throw a match, it's best to avoid the situation of someone being
accused of it.

So the Forfeit Buster was better accepted, with modifications.  As I
picked it up (and with some input from me), I propose the following,
which we can bring to the other team captains:

- If Team A knows they will be short a player, they must, by 7PM,
inform the Team B, the opposing team.
- At 7PM, Team B will choose from Team A one player present who is
allowed to play two matches that night.
- If more than one shooter is missing from Team A, there will be at
least one forfeit.
- Fee for "double shooter" on Team A will be paid, how is left to Team
A's discretion (all players chip in, shooter pays double, etc.)
- The "double shooter" must play the second match last.  To allow for
players to show up before end of the night.
- If it turns out Team A is not short, the designated double shooter is
not permitted to shoot twice.

There was talk of penalizing the double-shooter by not allowing them to
shoot the next week, but I think that may simply make the already bad
situation worse, by penalizing those who show up regularly for their
team.  I would suggest a modified penalty, in that someone may not be a
"double shooter" two weeks in a row.

I'd suggest the team members think about this, and, pending
modifications suggested by the team, we send it to the other teams.

--
Craig