[Swift-user] Swift/MPI & OpenFoam

Yadu Nand Babuji yadunand at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:08:35 CST 2015

Hi Matthew,

I am in the middle of updating our MPI documentation, and I think it
would be best to
address this question through a generalized example. Here's what I have
in mind :

You have hosts, node001...008, that you have password-less ssh access to.

1. Set hosts to node001...node008, and hostcount to N.

2. A script similar to start-coaster-service accesses the above
variables and creates
     partitions with hostcount number of hosts. The script then starts
the swift worker
     on the first node in each partition of hosts, and sets a node list
environment variable.
     Eg. you have node001 ... node008 and hostcount = 4
     Each worker(of 2) gets a portion of the nodes, the worker on
node001 gets
     NODE_LIST=[node001 node002 node003 node4]

3. Tasks submitted to the worker can use mpirun --host <NODE_LIST> to start
     mpi tasks with hostcount number of nodes.

4. Run mpi tasks to check if the ranks are on the right nodes.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Thanks,
Yadu