[Swift-user] Known issue with stdout and stderr file delays?

Michael Wilde wilde at anl.gov
Wed May 28 18:22:06 CDT 2014

On 5/28/14, 5:01 PM, Jonathan Ozik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone run into issues when trying to direct stdout and stderr to output files and getting the error:
> Caused by: The following output files were not created by the application: sim.out, err.out
This seems to be caused by an error in Swift (based on investigating
with Jonathan off-list).

The bug is that if an app returns an array of files, then any non-array
returns from the app are not getting handled correctly.
It seems to be a problem in the array-collecting code in the Swift
app-launching wrapper, which may be loosing its directory context after
returning from the collection function.

> It looks like the files are being created too late and not caught when the output is being gathered up? This is using trunk, by the way.
>
> Also, in a related question, is there an easy way to redirect stdout and stderr from an app invocation to the regular swift.out without creating specific files?
No, not at the moment. Some variations of this capability have been
discussed, though. It seems to me to be a useful addition to implement.

- Mike

> Jonathan

Michael Wilde
Mathematics and Computer Science          Computation Institute
Argonne National Laboratory               The University of Chicago