[Swift-user] Swift and allocations

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 12 13:55:54 CDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 13:45 -0500, Jonathan Ozik wrote:
> Hi Mihael,
>
> Thank you, good to know.
> The jobWalltime, should that be thought of as the length of time that
> each block will stay up?
>  For example, if resources are tight and only a few blocks are
> started, while the rest of the blocks are waiting for resources to
> free up, if the first few blocks reach their jobWalltimes, will those
> be shut down?

jobWalltime in 0.95 isn't quite the correct term. It's the replacement
for maxTime in pre-0.95 and it's a cap to the block walltime, which is
otherwise calculated using the overallocation formula.

But yes, whatever the block walltime, the block will be shut down after
that. If maxTime/jobWalltime is specified, it is guaranteed that no
block will have a walltime larger than maxTime/jobWalltime.

I was probably lying a little before. There is some code to attempt to
offload work to fewer blocks and shut down the unneeded ones, but I'm
not entirely sure how well it works in your scenario.

Mihael