[Swift-user] SWIFT Generates "incompatible" PBS scripts

chen sui baiypwup at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:28:39 CDT 2014

Hello SWIFT,I have been using SWIFT on two different clusters, it has always been running flawlessly on one of the clusters, but it fails on the second one.

I think I have narrowed down the cause of the problem;

When I have these lines (the 2 lines with stars in the following example) in a generated PBS script,
[begin example]
#PBS -S /bin/bash
#PBS -N B0402-0012360-0
#PBS -m n
(omitted)
export WORKER_LOGGING_LEVEL=NONE   (*)
#PBS -v WORKER_LOGGING_LEVEL  (*)
[end example]

The last two lines is causing the PBS to be incompatible with one of the clusters I'm using. When I submit such a script, I get the following error.

[begin Console output]
[cs900601 at eric2 scripts]$ qsub PBS4684660157119642383.submit
506530.eric2
** Job deleted, insufficient hours (0 < 96) left in allocation null **
[end Console output]

Clearly, for some reason the qsub on this cluster has "forgotten" every "#PBS" directive prior to the "export" line.

The reason seems to be
   1) the cluster I'm using does not support the "-v" switch.
   2) Does not accept PBS script whose "#PBS" lines have been "interrupted" by an non PBS directive (the "export" above).

That means, if I am able to make Swift remove the 2 lines during script generation the problem would go away.

So my question is, is it possible to do this through Swift configurations?
I have searched the configuration files but not seem to find a way to do it. The generated script says in the 1st line it's generated by a Java class "by class: class org.globus.cog.abstraction.impl.scheduler.pbs.PBSExecutor".

Is there a way to check out the source of that "PBSExecutor" class to see what is adding these two lines with asterisks in the generated script and disable it?

Thanks!Tommy Chen