[Swift-user] Running coasters on a bag of workstations

Carsen Berger clberger at uchicago.edu
Sat May 19 16:17:03 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to run coasters on a collection of commodity machines and I'm
running into some issues. The machines all share a common /home directory
on a NFS file system, so to give the coaster workers local storage, I
decided to set the WORKER_LOCATION directory to the local /var/tmp on each
machine.

Running start-coaster-service installs worker.pl in /var/tmp just fine, but
then when we try to run a swift script it spits out a slew of "No such file
or directory" errors for all the files that the worker is supposed to
create. It seems as if coasters cannot write to /var/tmp for whatever
reason. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before?

Note that setting WORKER_LOCATION to a directory in /home circumvents this
problem, but that solution won't work because we need a directory that is
local to each machine.

Thank you,
Carsen Berger