[Swift-user] SwiftR

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:51:42 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to get started with SwiftR on my ubuntu box.

I installed and tested SwiftR successfully :

> library(Swift)

> basicSwiftTest()
Working in /tmp/ketan/SwiftR/swift.SsHn
Running in /tmp/ketan/SwiftR/swift.SsHn (linked to
/tmp/ketan/SwiftR/swift.local)
project=NONE cores=2 nodes=1 queue=NONE server=local
Started worker manager with pid 10837

*** Starting  test 1.1 ***

Test of local do.call(sumstuff)
local result=
[1] 4505

Test of swiftapply(sumstuff,arglist)

swiftapply to  1  arg lists.

Swift properties:
  server =
  callsperbatch = 1
  runmode = service
  tmpdir = /tmp
  workerhosts = localhost
  initialexpr =

1 Swift request files written to:
 /tmp/ketan/SwiftR/requests.P10826/R0000000
Removing  /tmp/ketan/SwiftR/requests.P10826/R0000000
Swift result:

===============

However, when trying to use a SwiftR example shown on
http://wiki.ci.uchicago.edu/SWFT/SwiftR, I am getting errors:

> add = function(x,y) {return (x*y);}
> swiftapply(add, list( list(2,3), list(3,4)))
Information about current server of type  not found
swiftapply to  2  arg lists.

Swift properties:
  server =
  callsperbatch = 1
  runmode = service
  tmpdir = /tmp
  workerhosts = localhost
  initialexpr =

2 Swift request files written to:
 /tmp/ketan/SwiftR/requests.P10826/R0000002
Error in getWorkerDir(server) :
  No SwiftR servers launched within R and no server type specified, can't
identify a likely location for a swiftR service

In learning about SwiftR, my goal is to test its 'infinite' loop and
streams functionality. Does some examples demonstrating these features
exist for me to try on my local machine?

Regards,
--
Ketan