[Swift-user] OS X dependencies

Jonathan Monette jonmon at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 14 20:17:42 CDT 2012

So I can successfully build and execute swift(both 0.93 and trunk) on my personal Mac which has OS X Lion(10.7 I believe).

I am not sure why it works with 10.7 and not 10.8. It could be because 10.8 is still under development so it may be missing classes Java needs that comes standard in 10.7? This is just a shot in the dark since I do not have access to 10.8 dev preview.

I can debug this a little but not sure how much help I can provide. This sounds like the version of your OS specific issues of issue. Do you have access to a 10.7 version of OS X to try?

On Apr 14, 2012, at 19:37, Gustav Larsson <larsson at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply!
>
> I tried this both with the trunk and 0.93.
>
> Just to clarify, it was <absolute path>/cog/modules/swift/dist/swift-svn/bin that I added to my PATH.
>
> Gustav
>
> On 2012/04/14, at 19:20, Jonathan Monette <jonmon at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> What source are you building? Trunk? 0.93?
>>
>> Also, are you sure you added the right bin directory to your path? After a build you need to add dist/swift-svn/bin
>>
>> On Apr 14, 2012, at 19:02, Gustav Larsson <larsson at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to run Swift from a source build on OS X (10.8, dev
>>> preview 2 / Java 1.6.0_31). The ANT build was successful and I added
>>> the swift/bin to my PATH, so that I can run it. My problems however
>>> are runtime errors:
>>>
>>> 1.
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org/griphyn/vdl/karajan/Loader
>>>
>>> So, I went ahead and added karajan/build to my CLASSPATH. Fixed.
>>>
>>> 2.
>>> Two more errors like this, resulting in adding swift/build and
>>> util/build as well to my CLASSPATH. Fixed.
>>>
>>> 3.
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> com/thoughtworks/xstream/converters/Converter
>>>
>>> Now, I could probably download xstream and get this to work, but
>>> talking to Mike Wilde, he seemed puzzled that I should have to go
>>> through this process, so is there something I'm missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gustav