[Swift-user] [Swift-devel] gram on ranger

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 20 12:42:07 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 10:44 -0500, Ketan Maheshwari wrote:
> David,
>

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM, David Kelly <davidk at ci.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
>         Ketan,
>
>         I think you're right - I believe that line should be:
>
>         #$ -pe <parallel_environment> <maxNodes*nodeGranularity>
>

> I am not sure, it should be maxnodes*nodegranularity, since
> nodegranularity means the nodes-to-be-packed per job. I think, this
> should be,
> maxnodes*corespernode, which could be a static constant (value 16) for
> ranger. I could be wrong here, not sure.

I agree that maxnodes * nodegranularity does not make much sense since
that could cause a job to request more than maxnodes nodes.

I think this problem goes back to the idea that providers should
interpret "count" as "the number of instances of the executable that I
want started" and other parameters should dictate how exactly that count
is spread over nodes and cores.