[Swift-user] swift interface with egee/glite

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 08:47:36 CDT 2010

> 1. EGEE has LFC a common file catalog and a replica handling system.
> Couldn't it be treated as a shared file system?

Shared file systems mean different things to different people.

In the context of Swift at the time that I wrote that prototype, the
needed shared filesystem was posix-like (ie. you could use cp or
fopen()) filesystem shared between where Swift uploads/downloads files and
where programs actually run. In the traditional OSG cluster model which
influenced the original site model, that is eg. an NFS filesystem running
on a cluster head node.

Having replica management and a file catalog provides a different
interface. I played a little bit with trying to get that to work once but
ran into a stumbling block - how do I get the actual executable onto a
worker node if I can only put files into the shared file catalog rather
than onto the worker node's posix file system? That led me to the approach
I took in the email that I sent you (although its probably not the only
approach), I think.

The other questions aren't really specific to the prototype I worked on so
I'll leave for other people to answer in line with the current orthodoxy.