[Swift-user] Re: [Swift-devel] Problem with iterate

Ioan Raicu iraicu at eecs.northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 19 10:58:48 CST 2010

But lets bring this back to a more real example. A user wanting to
express some computations that have some dependencies, would write out
their computations in some order, expecting their order to be preserved
because of the dependencies. If you only support single assignment on
variables (e.g. the data), then an example like the one below could
never deadlock because the single assignment would be violated on the
2nd statement. Perhaps things are more complicated if you support
multiple assignments per variables, but that is not the case for Swift,
right?

I am trying to understand if this deadlock is happening in Swift due to
some particular implementation detail in Swift (or underlying pieces),
or is it a fundamental flaw in the DAG based approach with single
assignment variables? Or is it due to something completely different?

Thanks,
Ioan

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow
Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Rd, Tech M384
Evanston, IL 60208-3118
Cel:   1-847-722-0876