[Swift-user] Re: [Swift-devel] Problem with iterate

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Feb 19 05:13:55 CST 2010

> Right. So termination is undecidable by virtue of it being a turing
> complete language. What I'm unsure is whether deadlocks follow as a
> consequence of that. They are a different beast.

Turing complete languages don't deadlock in general.

(yes, concurrent programs do, but regard swift as a serial programming
language, not as a concurrent one; and regard concurrent execution as
'merely' an execution optimisation)

So I don't think deadlocks are a consequence of that.

But I do think that probably finding deadlocks given the language features
of SwiftScript is undecideable (not as a consequence of turing
completeness, but because of our choice of language features); and on a
more practical note, requires knowledge of the output of app blocks.