[Swift-user] Re: Copy of parallel scripting paper

Allan Espinosa yecartes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:38:42 CST 2009

the first line in the app() function should be installed in tc.data.
typically we deploy at systems level the programs we want. but this in
itself is an interesting approach in running stuff.  Also if you are
load balancing the the application to difference architecture systems
on the second stage, the other site will not be utilized since it will
create a lot of failed jobs.

-Allan

2009/11/17 William Emmanuel Yu <wyu at ateneo.edu>:

> Hey,
>
> Here is an intermediate swift question. How do I run a program that I
> just recently compiled. I would like to do something like what is
> intended by the program below. Of course, this program does not work
> because I can't run the generated exefile.
>
> --- start script ---
>
> type sourcefile;
> type exefile;
> type outputfile;
>
> (exefile e) compile(sourcefile s) {
>  app {
>    gcc "-o" @filename(e) @filename(s);
>  }
> }
>
> (outputfile o) run(exefile e) {
>  app {
>    @filename(e) stdout=@filename(o)
>  }
> }
>
> exefile efile <"hello.exe">;
> sourcefile sfile <"hello.c">;
> outputfile ofile <"hello.out">;
>
> efile = compile(sfile);
> ofile = run(efile);
>
> --- end script ---
>
> Of course, the main idea is that I won't be compiling and running one
> file per script but a full directly of C source files that I want to
> compile and run.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 02:14 -0600, Allan Espinosa wrote:
>> I guess that works.  But if you have  a scheduler, you should use it.
>> we have support for pbs, cobalt and condor.  any unsupported scheduler
>> can be interfaced with Globus GRAM2 or GRAM4.  From my perspective,
>> the cluster sysads should make it easy for its users to submit jobs :)
>>
>> 2009/11/15 William Emmanuel Yu <wyu at ateneo.edu>:
>> >
>> > After reading the article, I think I have a better appreciate of the
>> > problems you are trying to solve. Let me try to read about SWIFT more.
>> >
>> > What is the easier way to run SWIFT on a small cluster (say 64 cores on
>> > 16 nodes)? Can I just do an NFS and passwordless-SSH thing? I think I
>> > will try to help a buddy of mine with his thesis on aquatic migrations
>> > in UP as practice.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> > --
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> > William Emmanuel S. Yu (杨怀义)
>> > Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
>> > Ateneo de Manila University
>> > email  :  wyu at ateneo dot edu
>> > blog   :  http://hip2b2.yutivo.org/
>> > web    :  http://CNG.ateneo.edu/cng/wyu/
>> > phone  :  +63(2)4266001 loc. 4186
>> > GPG    :  http://CNG.ateneo.net/cng/wyu/wyy.pgp
>> >
>> > Confidentiality Issue:  This message is intended only for the use of the
>> > addressee and may contain information that is privileged and
>> > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> > notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly
>> > prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
>> > notify us immediately by reply and delete this message from your system.

> William Emmanuel S. Yu (杨怀义)
> [...]

Allan M. Espinosa <http://allan.88-mph.net/blog>
PhD student, Computer Science
University of Chicago <http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~aespinosa>