[Swift-user] hack to run mpi jobs on bluegene/p

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 5 12:57:23 CST 2009

Hi Allan,
I don't know if I understand your statement correctly. Are you saying
that you got Swift to be able to run MPI jobs on the BG/P? If yes, with
what provider? Coaster? Falkon? I don't think it was Falkon, as Falkon
doesn't have support for allocating jobs with N-processors. Does Coaster
support this kind of allocation, of multiple processors at the same
time? If yes, I'd like to hear more about this, and how you got MPI to
run on the BG/P through Swift.

Thanks,
Ioan

Allan Espinosa wrote:
> I made some hackish wrapper scripts to the app you want to run:
>
>  cat hello_wrapper.sh
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "hello world"
> jobid=`qsub -t 20 -q prod-devel -n 64 --mode vn -o stdout.file \
>     /home/espinosa/experiments/mpitest/hello`
>
> getstatus(){
> qstat | grep $jobid | awk '{ print $5}'
> }
>
> echo $jobid
> stat=`getstatus`
> while [ $stat != "exiting" ]; do
>   stat=`getstatus`
>   sleep 1
> done
>

> sample workflow:
>
>> cat mpitest.swift
>>
> type file;
>
> app (file out) hello() {
>     hello;
> }
>
> file output<"stdout.file">;
>
> output = hello();
>

> obviously we can't do stderr=@filename(x) and stuff, but we can still
> get progress and restartability features of the output files we are
> expecting.  we would also need separate commandline processing for
> "wrapper" args to real program args.
>
> enjoy! :)
> -Allan

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
NSF/CRA Computing Innovation Fellow
Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
Northwestern University
2145 Sheridan Rd, Tech M384
Evanston, IL 60208-3118
Cel:   1-847-722-0876