[Swift-user] Does SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH work for output?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 16 11:08:36 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 10:53 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Testing locally on the bgp, I see that env passing works, and wrapper.sh
> picks up SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH and does the right thing. So the problem
> seems to be somewhere in the Falkon path. We'll investigate, and can for
> the right jobdir handling in the meantime.
>
> A side note: when I set an env profile in tc.data, my (localhost) job
> gets a very limited environment:
>
> SWIFT_JOBDIR_PATH=/dev/shm
> PWD=/dev/shm/h/printenv-hzj1818j
> SHLVL=1
> OLDPWD=/var/tmp/pe-20090316-1029-cgkuddnd
> _=/usr/bin/printenv
>
> while with no env profile in the tc.data entry, my job gets the full
> environment from the shell in which I ran swift.
>
> I'm not going to look into that unless it becomes an issue, but its curious.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.lang.String[],%20java.lang.String[])

It seems that there is no (obvious) way to add variables to the
environment from java 1.4. You can either let the child process inherit
the full environment or specify the exact environment.

In Java5, there is a better scheme: ProcessBuilder.

So I'm contemplating the idea of dropping the Java 1.4 restriction and
moving forward.