[Swift-user] Swift on local resources

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 18 14:36:03 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 14:42 -0500, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> > Please consider this a feature request: it would be great if for the
> > SSH authentication, the user was asked for a password once, and then
> > the password (or its hash) was stored securely, and authentication was
> > done transparently.
>
> Well... there is such a feature in cog, but I don't think it's enabled
> in swift. It's a matter of SSH not having been used much. So I think we
> can work something out.

cog r2407 enables this. Use <host>.type=interactive

You'll get a prompt for the username and password or private
key/passphrase. If a graphical terminal is available, you'll see a Swing
dialog window. If not, don't be scared by the funny prompt, just type
the password as you normally would.

For one run and one site, you'll only have to type the information once.
I suspect you may have many ssh hosts, in which case you'll get as many
prompts. I may have a plan for that. In the mean time, you may be able
to use it as it is. Maybe I should use "may" once more.