[Swift-user] assigning file variables

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 26 00:13:18 CST 2009

Can you clarify how the ext mapper behaves differently from say the
simple_mapper for output files, and if the following is correct?

It seems that for the simple_mapper, the mapper parameters define a
prefix/suffix, and these strings are used wherever necessary at runtime
to form a mapping for any object composed of (possibly nested) structs
and arrays, by bracketing the dynamically-constructed object path.

But when the ext mapper is used for output, it is expected, in a single
call, to map the entire structure (and hence can only do static mappings)?

I thought I had my problem solved using the ext mapper, but the
combination of restrictions on assigning file variables and getting the
right info to the ext mapper seems to be forcing me back to simple_mapper.

(I'll try to assemble examples when I have more time)